Close this search box.

Obtaining Cannabis
for Research

UCLA researchers wishing to conduct other forms of cannabis research must obtain the product through NIDA, submit an investigational new drug (IND) application to the FDA (if there are human research participants involved), and register with and obtain a license from the DEA to conduct the research. Researchers who wish to conduct research that involves obtaining a Schedule I Controlled Substance like cannabis should consult with the Office of Environment, Health and Safety about applying for a DEA registration/license. Researcher must apply for and be granted DEA registration for Schedule I controlled substances.